In between the sales and backyard bbqs, we don’t want you to forget what Memorial Day is truly about. What was once declared Decoration Day where veterans took time to decorate the graves of the fallen with flowers, is now a day for family and friends to come together. Whether that be to visit tombstones or just be with loved ones to enjoy their company.
We hope it is spent in your backyard, enjoying the day and remembering that the freedom we have is spent in the memory of someone else’s brave fight.
Our tips below will give your get-together a patriotic push and a day to remember!
- Use foods that are statesmanlike in color … strawberries, blueberries, marshmallows, watermelon … it will make for a patriotic pow WOW!
- Decorate with red, white and blue bandanas
- Paint mason jars for a quick centerpiece (“pin”spiration here)
- Roses are red, violets are blue … pick some fresh flowers on a table for two
- Pick up some sparklers to enjoy at dusk
- Cheers with some red, white and blue sangria (recipe here)
- Light the night with candles
- Play a friendly game of American history trivia
- Enjoy our recipe of the month and top it off with some red velvet cupcakes (recipe here)
- And last but not least … wave your flags