Decking out a patio should be fun and come easy, but for most it can be quite daunting. Lauren Battistini a color strategist with LFB Color recently visited a Texas Custom Patio project and had 6 tips for building and decorating the perfect patio.
1. Invest in permanent elements: The place to really invest your dollars is in the permanent elements such as woodworking, flooring, lighting fixtures, fans, grills, and counter tops. Select finishes that are as timeless and classic as possible, as you can update the space periodically and inexpensively with accents and decorative items.
2. Protect surfaces with the best paint and sealants: Be sure to invest in the highest quality paint and surface sealants to protect your hard surfaces against the elements. Choosing a high quality paint is very important, not only will it provide superior coverage and protection, but also include technology to keep colors from fading due to sunlight and other exposure.
3. Pick one to two colorful hues: As for color, Lauren recommends choosing one to two hues for items such as cushions, throw pillows, dinnerware, serving trays and other small accent pieces. Don’t be afraid to mix and match several shades within the same hue, such as lime, avocado, cucumber, and forest greens. Personalize the space with your own take on color. PRO TIP: Though white and cream are technically neutrals, they translate as color in the decor world. In this example, we used greens and whites as our two colors.
4. Add a unique touch with textures and patterns: Most textures and patterns can be mixed and matched seamlessly as long as they are in the same color (or neutral—white, cream, gray, beige, taupe, etcetera) family. Great ways to add texture and pattern is with throw pillows, light blankets, area rugs, artwork, and/or ceramic or glass pieces.
5. Everything has a designated place: The backyard patio should be a place that feels light, airy, and uncluttered. Keep small personalized knick-knacks in corners that aren’t the focal point of the space. Utilize decorative storage boxes and cabinets to store miscellaneous items, so that the space seems orderly and free of clutter.
6. Bring in faux or real plant life: If you don’t have a green thumb, fear not. You can purchase beautiful faux plants to bring into the patio space. This creates a calm and peaceful ambiance in any patio area.