We asked our Texas Custom Patio Project Managers what commonly asked questions they recieved? Here’s what Dean had to offer up…
Commonly asked questions re: adding a restroom:
– I have a pool and want a place for guests to use the restroom without tracking water through the house, but how much does adding an outdoor restroom cost?
– Where should we put it?
– How big should it be?
– I just want a place for guests to rinse off, can we just have a shower head somewhere?
Answers to the above:
– Outdoor bathrooms average about $15-$20K. There are exceptions where some bathrooms are more or less than that, but this is the average range. Included in that $15-$20K is roughly an 8×6 bathroom with a sink, toilet, and maybe a stand up shower unit. It will have foundation depth concrete, exterior walls to match or complement existing home finishes, shingled roof, plumbing/vents, at least one frosted window for natural light and finished/painted interior with trim.
– Typically you want to put the bathroom off to the side of the property or connected to the end of a patio cover so it is out of the way. Location may also be dictated by the location of the sewer clean out pipe that we would have to tie into. The closer to the clean out pipe, the more cost effective we can be on the plumbing.
– Yes, we can add just a shower head for guests to rinse off. We can also build a privacy wall if requested for the showering area.
Pros to adding a bathroom:
– Convenient restroom for guests both in and out of the pool
– You don’t have to let people into your house to use the restroom
– Convenient to wash off the chlorine smell after getting out of the pool
– Additional place to store towels or pool toys
– Tying into the sewer may be difficult or may be completely unreachable
– The cost may be higher than expected for homeowners. When we build a bathroom, we are building a really small house. That one room needs to be vented, sealed to stay dry, and should also have some temperature control unit. If you don’t air condition that bathroom space, it will feel like a sauna in the middle of the summer.
– With a pool and patio cover, you may not have enough space or the right location to be able to add a bathroom
– Cost vs. value is not equal
But what doesn’t hurt is to ask! We are happy to come out, take a look and give you a free estimate!