Looking for a quick outdoor meal? These grilled chicken skewers are deliciously easy to make. Grilled corn on the cob and savory tomato salad add a side of classic flavor.
20-Minute Chicken Skewers with Easy Tomato Salad (adapted from realsimple.com)
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in 2-inch chunks
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 ears of corn, husks removed
1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
4 scallions, chopped
1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
8 skewers, soaked in water
1. Heat grill to medium-high.
2. Toss the chicken breast pieces, garlic, fresh thyme, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and ½ teaspoon each of kosher salt and black pepper in a bowl.
3. Thread the chicken onto the skewers.
4. Place the chicken skewers and the ears of corn on the grill. Cook, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and corn is charred (about 7-10 minutes for both).
5. In a bowl, toss the tomatoes, scallions, orange zest, the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
6. Serve the tomato salad with the chicken and corn.
Ginger-Peach Cooler (adapted from realsimple.com)
3 cups of ginger ale
1/2 cup of peach nectar
2 ripe peaches, sliced into thin pieces
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
In a pitcher, combine the ginger ale, peach nectar, sliced peaches, and fresh grated ginger. Serve over ice.
Try different combinations – use a lemon-lime drink (such as 7-up or Sprite) instead of ginger ale, or consider using mangos or pears instead of peaches.